Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Coveda

Today we visited Coveda.  Coveda is a little alternative school that was started by Jaspreet, the woman who owns the house we are staying in.  It is just a few blocks away (in one of the very nice areas of our sector), and is just about the most beautiful school I have ever seen.  It is a bit hard to describe-- a very open little structure; about 5 "class rooms" all circling around a courtyard with trees and pottery wheels and cushions here and there.  The outdoor space and indoor space kind of are one in the same, with some rooms  quite intentionally and beautifully designed to only have 2 or 3 walls (this will be nice when the warm weather arrives...).
In any case, it a lovely little school that is obviously run by people who are passionate about it and care deeply for the children who attend.  It wasn't actually in session today, however, (all schools in the area have been closed due to the cold since there is no indoor heating), but we met with some of the teachers and sat and talked for a long time with Jaspreet.  It is not exactly a preschool;  there are no children under 4, and the kids go up to age 14.....  so we are trying to figure out how little Violet, who is not yet 2 would fit in.  Jaspreet seemed enthusiastic for us to come though and just use the school as a place to be.  Violet and I can drop by when we feel up to it, and she can run around and watch the other kids as they go about their activities.  They do weaving, artwork, spend time in the "library room", put on puppet shows, have some sort of math routine every day as well as language studies....
We'll see.

In the meantime, Violet has caught a cold, so we are taking it easy.  Today was sunny, and it really was lovely here.  We spent a lot of time in our sun room while Tyler was at class.  Violet has these little plastic animals that she loves to line up in a "parade" on the tile floor, but gets frustrated when the giraffe falls over (he's a bit wobbly).  More luck tomorrow, maybe.  We are all quite tired tonight.   

12 comments:

  1. i'm just picturing what a licensing issue rooms with only 2 or 3 walls would be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! My name is Kavita, I googled Coveda school and came across your blog. I met you briefly today at the school, my husband and I are considering it for our 3 yr old son, Rehan. Im from California, just completed my residency from Santa Barbara and am married to Rohit, who is a businessman settled here in Chandigarh. Reading through your blog about your experiences in India was all too familiar! Anyhow, I was wondering if you would have any time to meet up, Dev had recommended speaking to some parents to get a feel about the school. We are really confused about which school to put Rehan into! My email is kavitapabby@hotmail.com, I look forward to your reply! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the effort by Jaspreet. I am a big fan of homeschooling and alternate education. I was looking for homeschooling families in/ around Chandigarh area. I am glad to see such activities going in that corner of world too. I know Pune/ Bangalore/ Kerala/ TM are the Hsing hub and plenty of support is available there. We are currently living in NJ USA and will be moving to Chandigarh in near future. I was trying to get in touch with such families. I know there is not much information available over net.

    We decided to go for homeschooling (Unschooling precisely). My kids are 3 and 1 as of now.

    Please feel free to contact me for any details. I'd be more than happy to answer. You can find my contact details in signature below. @Kavita, I will contact you to know about your experience in Chandigarh.

    Good Luck

    Naveen
    Email: call_naveen@yahoo.com , navsha@gmail.com
    Phone: +1 732 647 5296

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For connecting other homeschoolers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NeBiY5F7XzE_RYl1kShfapdQ64XJHD_bo75EH_-dosg/edit#gid=0

      Delete
  4. @kavita Hi we are from Melbourne and going to be moving to Chandigarh soon. I'm very interested in knowing more about what you do at the school as I have a 4 year old daughter who is big on arts and drama and am really worried that the schooling options in chd will limit her creativity and try to box her in. Any other feedback from others is most welcome.
    My email is Drshikha354@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...Dear...I visited the place twice attended a parents session too. The place is amazing for children's growth. Can you please help with the school's number. I misplaced it and going n visiting without appointment is not allowed, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, m khushboo and I m a mother of a 1.5 year old son. I am very interested in visiting Coveda. Can someone pleaseplease Coveda's contact details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. coVeda
      18B, Sector 18, Chandigarh, 160018
      https://maps.app.goo.gl/mxi99rfAHTzenyVY6

      Delete
    2. coVeda is running in another school's premises. So you need to be VERY determined to go to the school to find it. It took us a good hour of roaming in circles around the area to finally find it. The place is beautiful, small and cozy. Unfortunately I could not meet Jaspreet and she didn't take my calls. I'm still staying positive, as I have seen alternative schools work in India from close quarters. It is not easy.
      My girls go to a Steiner school in Goa (search for Keshar Academy of Learning, Goa). As amazing as it is, we might have to relocate back home. That's why I have been trying to get in touch with Jaspreet. If anyone has any updated information, please do share

      Delete
  7. I am looking for any NRI or Expat homeschooling in CHD. Let me know if anyone has any info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,I am Anu Thakur mother of 9 months old son.i wish to get admission of my child in coveda school...can someone pls help me in admission criteria of coveda school

    ReplyDelete